Spring is the time of new beginnings and a good time to cleanse our bodies and minds to prepare for what is to come. So, here is a mantra exercise to help you do just that.
A mantra consists of a series of sacred words (in yoga, generally Sanskrit), which are rhythmically repeated to elevate consciousness. They have powerful meanings specifically designed for different effects. Chanting these words clears the negative and stagnated energies that accumulate within us and while we focus on the sounds we can more easily clear our minds of all the mental clutter.
This mantra evokes energy to give you vitality and purify any past negativity. It brings you from darkness to light and from ignorance to understanding.
Chanting the words out loud stimulates the reflex points in the mouth and then hits the hypothalamus, pineal and pituitary glands to calm the mind and help you to experience inner peace.
- Sit up tall and straight in a comfortable position, preferably cross legged on the floor.
- Straighten both your arms in front of you shoulder height with your palms facing up.
- Move your arms towards you as though you are splashing water over your head.
- As you repeat this movement with your arms repeat this mantra: Wahe Guru, Wahe Guru, Wahe Jio (wah-hey goo-roo, wah-hey goo-roo, wah-hey jee-oh).
- Continue for at least 3 minuets.